Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE)
All applicants are required to take a placement exam unless you have a college degree or have successfully completed a minimum of 12 credit hours (excluding remedial or developmental courses) at a regionally accredited or COE accredited college or university are exempt from taking the TABE test. GTC accepts placement scores from ACT, SAT, ASSET, ACCUPLACER, and COMPASS™ taken within the last three years. Unconditional admission is granted to students meeting the placement score requirements for their specific program. Applicants are required to score at least a sixth-grade reading, vocabulary, and math level. All applicants for health information technology programs must possess a high school diploma or GED (general equivalency degree).
ACCUPLACER Testing Coming Soon (Fall'23)
All applicants are required to take a placement exam unless you have a college degree or have successfully completed a minimum of 12 credit hours (excluding remedial or developmental courses) at a regionally accredited or COE accredited college or university are exempt from taking the Accuplacer test. GTC accepts placement scores from ACT, SAT, ASSET, ACCUPLACER and COMPASS™ taken within the last three years. Unconditional admission is granted to students meeting the placement score requirements for their specific program.
What is ACCUPLACER?
ACCUPLACER is a comprehensive, computerized skills survey system that measures your:
- Reading Skills
- Writing Skills
- Mathematics Skills
ACCUPLACER is not a pass/fail test.
What are ACCUPLACER scores used for?
ACCUPLACER scores determine your place in:
- College level courses
- Developmental courses
When Can I Schedule to Test?
- Once application and all required documentation is submitted to Admissions.
- Students must schedule a testing appointment online here prior to taking the ACCUPLACER.
- There is no cost to take test.
If you have any questions contact Admissions-504-889-5568, ext. 1308.
Practice tests are available on the internet at:
- Practice for ACCUPLACER – ACCUPLACER | College Board
- For Students – ACCUPLACER | College Board
Can I use a calculator on the test?
No, a calculator cannot be used while taking the test.
Is the ACCUPLACER test timed?
ACCUPLACER takes approximately three-and-a-half hours to complete (all three surveys). You should arrive 15 minutes early to ensure adequate time to test. Below are some important facts to remember:
- Take your time!
- Read all directions carefully and completely.
- Ask the proctor if you have any questions.
- Pay close attention to details.
- Wait for the computer to respond.
- Do not click or press enter more than once on the computer.
- Eat a healthy breakfast the day of the test.
What do I need to bring on testing day?
In order to take the test, please bring the following to the testing center: Picture ID
When will I get my test results?
Test results are provided at the end of the testing session.
Items that are no allowed during testing.
- Any device capable of recording audio, photographic or video content
- Unauthorized testing aids
- Cellular phones, tablets, pages, smartphones, or wireless communication devices
- Digital watches, smartwatches, or wristwatch camera
- Flash. Thumb drives or any portable electronic device
- Food, beverage, or tobacco products
- Listening to devices such as radio, media players, or recorders
- Nonmedical electronic devices
- Student provided paper (will be provided and destroyed by proctor)
- Rules, protractors, compasses, or rulers
- Weapons, firearms, or other item prohibited by law / campus safety polices
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.