Effective placement testing programs have been shown to be related to increased student retention and academic success. At Goodwill Technical College, the ACCUPLACER is used to assess readiness for program level courses. Placement scores for program entrance are set at levels that are appropriate for program content to ensure that successful program completion is likely. Students whose placement scores do not meet the minimum levels required by the program into which they wish to enroll are required to take additional learning support courses in basic literacy and/or math upon enrollment to upgrade their skills.
What is ACCUPLACER?
ACCUPLACER is a comprehensive, computerized skills survey system that measures your:
- Reading Skills
- Mathematics Skills
- ACCUPLACER is not a pass/fail test.
Practice tests are available on the internet at:
- College credits from an accredited institution
- Placement scores from one of the following tests taken within the past three years: ACT, SAT, ASSET, ACCUPLACER and COMPASS™
Please note that the Hospitality certificate program does not require a placement assessment.
- Once an application and all required documentation is submitted to Admissions
- There is no cost to take the ACCUPLACER
- Schedule the ACCUPLACER online
If you have any questions contact Admissions-504-889-5568, ext. 1308.
ACCUPLACER is not a timed test, but it could take up to approximately two hours to complete. You should arrive 15 minutes early to ensure adequate time to test. Below are some important facts to remember:
- Take your time!
- Read all directions carefully and completely.
- Ask the proctor if you have any questions.
- Pay close attention to details.
- Wait for the computer to respond.
- Do not click or press enter more than once on the computer.
- Eat a healthy breakfast the day of the test.
Test results are provided via email within 24 hours.
Yes, you can retake the ACCUPLACER up to two times.
- Your first retest is free and can be taken 14 days after the first test.
- There is a $5 fee for the second retest which can be taken on the next available test day.
- Any device capable of recording audio, photographic or video content
- Unauthorized testing aids
- Cellular phones, tablets, pages, smartphones, or wireless communication devices
- Digital watches, smartwatches, or wristwatch camera
- Flash/thumb drives or any portable electronic device
- Food, beverage, or tobacco products
- Listening devices (with or without headphones) such as radio, media players, or recorders
- Nonmedical electronic devices
- Student provided paper (will be provided and destroyed by proctor)
- Slide rules, protractors, compasses, or rulers
- Weapons, firearms, or other item prohibited by law/campus safety polices
- Valid photo ID
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.